On Sunday (18/8) at Plaza Senayan shopping mall, South Jakarta, Screenplay Films and BumiLangit Studio launched Jagat Sinema BumiLangit Jilid 1 (BumiLangit Cinematic Universe Volume 1), a shared film universe project based on comic book characters from BumiLangit, an intellectual property-based company that manages the rights to classic Indonesian comic book characters.The shared universe will begin with director Joko Anwar’s Gundala, based on Hasmi’s lightning-powered superhero, which will debut in Indonesian theatres in 29 August 2019.
The announcement revealed seven films that are planned to be produced following Gundala for the next six years. Some of them are based on superhero characters set in present day, while some others are based on silat (martial arts) warrior characters set in Indonesia’s past. The film slate after Gundala is as follows:
- Sri Asih (based on a pioneering superheroine comic book character created by RA Kosasih)
- Godam dan Tira (based on the superhero character created by Wid NS and superheroine character created by Nono GM)
- Si Buta dari Gua Hantu (based on the martial artist character created by Ganes TH)
- Patriot Taruna (based on a superhero team that brings together BumiLangit’s superhero characters)
- Mandala: Golok Setan (based on the martial artist and master swordsman character created by Mansyur Daman aka MAN)
- Gundala Putra Petir (a planned sequel to Gundala)
In addition to the films, the announcement also reveals 19 actors and actresses who have been casted as characters in the films. The cast list includes top Indonesian actors and actresses such as Dian Sastrowardoyo and Nicholas Saputra of Ada Apa Dengan Cinta? (What’s Up with Love?) fame, and Joe Taslim of The Raid.
- Abimana Aryasatya as Gundala.
- Bront Palarae as Pengkor, one of Gundala’s arch-enemies.
- Ario Bayu as Ghani Zulham, one of Gundala’s arch-enemies who is also known as Ghazul.
- Tara Basro as Merpati, a flight-capable heroine who becomes a love interest to Gundala.
- Hannah Al Rashid as Camar, a descendant of martial artist who can communicate with birds. Created by Wid NS and will make an appearance in Gundala.
- Pevita Pearce as Sri Asih, an incarnation of the goddess Dewi Sri.
- Chicco Jerikho as Godam, a man who can transform into a superpowered alter ego with a magic ring.
- Chelsea Islan as Tira, a crimefighter with high-tech equipments.
- Nicholas Saputra as Aquanus, an amphibious human-like alien hero raised on Earth. Created by Wid NS.
- Zara JKT48 as Virgo, a heroine who can shoot flames from her fingers created by Jan Mintaraga. Has been reimagined in a recent webtoon series as a pop singer with supernatural abilities.
- Joe Taslim as Mandala the master swordsman.
- Kelly Tandiono as Bidadari Mata Elang, an opportunistic martial artist acquainted with Mandala and also created by Mansyur Daman.
- Vanesha Precilla as Cempaka, a jungle girl-type character created by RA Kosasih.
- Dian Sastrowardoyo as Dewi Api, details still unknown.
- Tatjana Saphira as Mustika Sang Kolektor, details still unknown.
- Lukman Sardi as Ridwan Bahri, details still unknown.
- Daniel Adnan as Tanto Ginanjar, details still unknown.
- Asmara Abigail as Desti Nikita, details still unknown.
- Della Dartyan as Nila Umaya, details still unknown.
Joko Anwar (Pengabdi Setan), who also serves as creative producer, confirmed that the films will have different directors and screenwriters, though no director or specific release date has been attached for each film yet other than Timo Tjahjanto (The Night Comes for Us), who has been attached to direct Si Buta.
The Indonesian Anime Times